Reasons Behind Camshaft Tensioner Leaks in Your Audi From Experts in Charleston
Most Audi models feature a camshaft tensioner that works to keep the timing belt running. Sometimes, oil leaks can occur in this part of your vehicle, impairing its ability to function and resulting in engine wear.
The Camshaft Tensioner and Belts
Tensioners ensure that the belts within your Audi’s engine, specifically the timing and serpentine belts, are tightened with the proper tension. The camshaft tensioner utilizes hydraulic oil to carry out this function.
The timing belt, also known as the timing chain, synchronizes camshaft and crankshaft rotation. This helps the vehicle run properly, and in some engines, also drives components like the water pump and oil pump.
When this oil leaks into these areas, the engine belts loosen and cause problems. There are a few common symptoms of this type of oil leak. Because oil leaks are so common, it’s important to know the specific effects of a camshaft tensioner leak in your Audi.
Symptoms of Camshaft Tensioner Leaks
Many issues can arise within your engine because of a camshaft tensioner leak. Look out for the following problems:
- Strange sounds: Sounds you might hear with a camshaft tensioner leaking oil include loud grinding noises and unusual ticking. This is caused by the loosened timing belt from oil leaking from the tensioner.
- Belt wear: Timing and serpentine belts can and will wear with age. However, leaky oil from the camshaft tensioner will also damage these belts and cause an array of problems.
- Acceleration issues: It’s possible that with a loosened or slipping belt, you can encounter acceleration problems. This happens even more frequently between 2000-4000 RPM, so make sure to watch your Audi’s acceleration at that level.
- Engine not turning over: A damaged or snapped timing belt can affect your engine’s ability to turn over. If your car doesn’t start, it’s possible that there is an oil leak in your camshaft tensioner. This can be especially problematic because a snapped belt can also affect combustion.
- Loss of power/Rough idling: If you find that your Audi is losing power more quickly or idling is rough, there is likely an issue with your timing belt that may have been caused by leaking oil in the camshaft variator.
- A/C and battery problems: Though seemingly unrelated to a leak from the camshaft tensioner, there is a potential for issues arising in areas like your car’s battery or air conditioning. The belts that are affected by a leak impact these parts of your vehicle to a certain degree.
If you notice the above signs of a camshaft tensioner leak, please call us today for a convenient appointment so we can make the necessary repairs to get you back on the road safely.
My Euro Pro for Your Audi
My Euro Pro is a premier European automotive repair shop in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We service the entire Myrtle Beach area and have locations in Charleston, South Carolina, and Wilmington, North Carolina.
At My Euro Pro, we know how serious oil leaks can be. No matter what the internal problem is, an oil leak is a strong indicator that your Audi needs reliable service. That’s what My Euro Pro will provide to you. Locating the cause of the oil leak, whether it be from the camshaft variator or somewhere else, is no easy task. However, our ASE certified mechanics are ready to dive into your Audi’s engine, find the problem, and get it fixed quickly and cost-effectively before things get worse.
Along with oil leak services, My Euro Pro also offers the following comprehensive repairs and checks:
- A/C Service and Repair
- Battery Replacement
- Brake Service and Repair
- Check Engine Light
- Engine Repairs
- Factory Scheduled Services
- Fluid Checks and Changes
- Mileage Specific Maintenance
At our three locations in Myrtle Beach and Charleston, South Carolina as well as Wilmington, North Carolina, our licensed technicians are ready to help with your Audi’s needs. Experience the dealership alternative and receive impeccable customer service at My Euro Pro. Bring your Audi in today to get your camshaft variator’s oil leak back in check to keep your car running smoothly for miles to come. We look forward to becoming your trusted service center for all your vehicle’s needs in the future.
* Audi Q5 image credit goes to: ABykov.