Top Reasons Behind Digital Dashboard Failure in Your Audi
Digital dashboard systems are offered in many Audi models for the driver’s pleasure and convenience. The digital dashboard is a high-tech replacement for the traditional analog display that shows the speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, and more. But what do you do when your Audi’s digital dashboard is on the fritz? Let’s investigate some of the causes of digital dashboard failure in Audi vehicles.
The Perks of the Digital Dashboard
Audi’s digital dashboard, part of its Virtual Cockpit feature, is a state-of-the-art digital display consisting of a single high-resolution LCD panel that sits above the steering wheel. Button controls on the steering wheel can change to different displays on the dashboard, since the system is highly customizable. Display options include navigation, radio presets, and the ability to make and answer phone calls.
However advanced the digitized display is on your Audi vehicle, your digital dashboard is vulnerable to malfunctions, as with any part of your car. Moreover, the cause of problems can be tricky to determine and repair.
Common Causes of Digital Dashboard Failure
A digital dashboard functions by way of sensors that send and receive data from the vehicle’s computer system. This information displays on the dashboard screen. It’s an electrical system made up of wires and circuits, so the most common reason behind digital dashboard failure in your Audi is electrical malfunction. There are several degrees of electrical malfunction and causes behind it:
- Circuit board malfunction: A malfunctioning circuit board can be detrimental to your car’s electrical system. This includes a short or open circuit and can cause a blown fuse. A blown fuse isn’t a particularly labor-intensive fix but may be a symptom of a much larger problem, which is why it’s best left to the pros to repair any blown fuses.
- System is out of date: Computer systems need software updates, and the computer in your vehicle is no different. Updating your car’s software as updates are available will prevent glitches and other hiccups within the system. Ask your trusted Audi shop for a system check during scheduled maintenance appointments to get ahead of any future problems.
- Water damage: Leaking water can cause damage to your vehicle’s electrical system. Look out for water gathering under your car’s hood. This could be a sign it’s invading your system’s wiring or circuit boards and could cause corrosion. On the flip side, drinks spilled inside your car in the center console can wreak havoc on the digital dashboard’s circuitry.
- Bad starter: A malfunctioning digital dashboard may be the symptom of a bad starter. The starter gets your engine up and running and transports battery power to the engine to start your car. But if the starter isn’t working, one of the first signs is malfunctioning nonfunctional electronics in the car, including the digital dashboard.
Signs Your Audi’s Digital Dashboard is Failing
The most common signs your digital dashboard is malfunctioning include:
- Dim lights on the display
- Varying lights flicker or don’t come on
- The entire panel fails to turn on
- The dashboard reboots while the vehicle is in use
- The gauges and meters display incorrect readings
Although some of these problems might not necessarily render the car unusable, it poses a significant safety hazard when you lose those essential displays, and it can impact other areas of your vehicle’s performance.
My Euro Pro: Experts of Digital Dashboard Repair
While it may be tempting to try repairing your Audi’s digital dashboard yourself, our technicians are experienced with your Audi’s technology and have the proper tools to properly diagnose and repair the underlying issue.
At My Euro Pro, we are a full service auto shop, equipped to get your Audi running at peak performance. If your digital dashboard has failed, it’s important to get it repaired as soon as possible. Our trained expert staff can repair your vehicle’s electrical system and get you back on the road in no time.
We are family owned and operated for over 35 years and lead North and South Carolina in quality Audi maintenance and repairs. From routine maintenance to emergency repairs, you can trust our team to get your vehicle up and running as soon as possible.
My Euro Pro has three convenient locations in Myrtle Beach, SC, Charleston, SC, and Wilmington, NC. To schedule an appointment, call to speak to our friendly staff or make a convenient appointment online.
* Audi Car image credit goes to: Vesela Boycheva.